When Fall and Winter come around, we rarely think of having a salad. But, this Ultimate Winter Salad recipe will surely change that! It’s the perfect mix of sweet and savory topped with toasted pecans, pomegranate, and goat cheese with a maple dijon vinaigrette dressing.
This winter salad is always a hit at holiday parties. It’s super festive and vibrant. And, I’m positive all of your salad-loving guests will be wow’ed!
This winter salad recipe is also great to make for the family to sneak in extra fruits and vegetables. It’s super healthy and loaded with antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
And, best of all, we’re using Fall and Winter fruits and vegetables so everything is in season and extra fresh! It makes for the perfect side dish served alongside steak, pasta, casseroles, etc.
Ultimate Winter Salad Ingredients
Because we’re using ingredients that are in season this time of year, you should be able to easily find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store.
- Kale: The base of this salad is massaged kale. By massing the kale with EVOO and lemon juice, it helps to break down the fibers making it easier to chew and more palatable.
- Hearty Vegetables: To sneak in some extra vegetables, I’ll be adding shredded carrots, brussels sprouts, and cabbage.
- Fruit: To add a bit of sweetness, I’m adding apple, pear, and pomegranate.
- Roasted Vegetables: To boost the savoriness of this salad, we’re going to add roasted sweet potatoes and beets. The beets can be substituted with roasted parsnips, turnips, or rutabaga.
- Pecans: These will add an extra crunch.
- Goat Cheese: More flavor! Feel free to substitute with dairy free cheese crumbles.
- Salad Dressing: The maple dijon vinaigrette takes this salad to the next level!
How To Make This Ultimate Winter Salad
This winter salad is made in layers. It’s very simple but does require some chopping, roasting, and toasting, but it’s completely worth it!
Massage the Kale: Add chopped kale to a salad bowl along with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. Massage the kale with your hands for 2-3 minutes until it starts to wilt a bit.
Add Veggies: To the salad bowl, add shredded brussels sprouts, carrots, and cabbage. Toss to combine.
Add Fruit & Roasted Veggies: Add roasted sweet potatoes and beets along with an apple and pear. Feel free to substitute the beets with roasted parnips, turnips, or rutabaga. Toss to combine.
Add Dressing & Toppings: Pour the maple dijon vinaigrette dressing over top. Toss to combine. Then, top it off with toasted pecans, pomegranate, and goat cheese.
Winter Salad Storage & Meal Prep Tips
Because this salad contains hearty vegetables, it’ll last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Storage: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Meal Prep: For parties, you can prep this winter salad up to 8 hours in advance (go ahead and add the dressing so it’ll marinate). But, be sure to remove it from the fridge about an hour before serving.
Ultimate Winter Salad Recipe Video
Looking for more healthy salad recipes?
If you’re on the search for healthy salad recipes, here’s a few of my favorites.
- Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad (gluten free and dairy free)
- Mango Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing (gluten free and dairy free)
- Loaded Burger Bowl Salad with Homemade Thousand Island (gluten free)
- Mayo-Free Avocado Egg Salad (grain free & dairy free)
- Creamy Broccoli Salad (gluten free)