Today, I’m sharing my Chimichurri Steak and Quinoa Balanced Bowl. This is one of my absolute favorite balanced bowl recipes, which is a 1-bowl meal with a healthy ratio of carbs, fats, and proteins. And, the homemade chimichurri sauce really takes this balanced bowl to the next level in terms of flavor!
What I love about balanced bowls is that you can prep most of the ingredients in advance at the beginning of the week as part of your meal prep routine. And, once you’re ready to serve it, just re-heat the portions that need re-heated, add some fresh toppings, and ENJOY!
This balanced bowl is 100% gluten free and dairy free. It can be made lower carb by substituting the quinoa with cauliflower rice.
BALANCED BOWL | Chimichurri Steak and Quinoa BowlCourse: Dinner, LunchDifficulty: Medium
This steak and quinoa balanced bowl with homemade chimichurri sauce is perfect for lunch or dinner and can be meal prepped in advance.
- For the Chimichurri Sauce (5 servings):
1 C. Fresh Parsley, finely chopped & tightly packed
4 Garlic Cloves, chopped
2 Tbsp Fresh Oregano, finely chopped
1/3 C. + 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Squeeze of Fresh Lemon Juice (optional)
- For the Quinoa (4 servings):
1 C. Dry Quinoa
2 C. Water
Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Roasted Beets & Sweet Potatoes (3 servings):
1 C. Sweet Potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 C. Beets, peeled & cubed
1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
Sea Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Paprika, to taste
- For the Steak (2 servings):
1 (8 oz) Steak (NY Strip or Sirloin)
1/4 tsp EACH of Sea Salt and Pepper
1 Tbsp Grass-fed Ghee or Avocado Oil
3 Whole Garlic Cloves, peeled
3 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
- For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- Add all sauce ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Let marinate at room temperature while prepping the other ingredients.
- For the Quinoa:
- Add water and quinoa to a saucepan with a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to low-medium, cover saucepan with a lid, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once done, turn off the heat but leave the lid on for 5 minutes. Then, fluff it up with a fork and add in sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- For the Roasted Beets & Potatoes:
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cubed beets & sweet potatoes onto baking sheet.
- Drizzle the oil over top. Sprinkle with seasonings, to taste. Toss to ensure all of the beets & potatoes are coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
- For the Steak:
- Preheat oven to 500 F. Add oil to a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, sear the steak on each side for 2 minutes. Add in the garlic cloves and fresh thyme. Baste the steak while it’s searing.
- Add steak to the oven for 4-5 minutes depending on how you like it cooked. Once done, let it rest for 5 minutes then cut into slices.
- For Balanced Bowl Assembly:
- When ready to serve your balanced bowl, add 1 serving of each ingredient to a bowl and ENJOY!! Note: One serving of the chimichurri sauce is 2 Tbsp.
- For the chimichurri sauce, you’ll want to serve it at room temperature. Keep it stored in the fridge.
Macros for this Balanced Bowl
Below, I’ve calculated the macros for one Chimichurri Steak & Quinoa Balanced Bowl. This includes 1 serving of the chimichurri sauce (2 Tbsp), 1 serving of the quinoa, 1 serving of the roasted beets and sweet potatoes, and 4 oz of the steak.
Looking for more 1-Bowl or 1-Pan Recipes?
Below, I’ve listed some of my favorite 1-bowl and 1-pan recipes for easy meal prepping. All of the recipes below are gluten free and dairy free.
- Blackened Cod Bowl with Strawberry Pineapple Salsa
- Savory Breakfast Bowl with Grass-fed Beef Sausage
- Paleo Sweet Potato Taco Skillet