If you’re weakness is chips (like me!), then learning how to make homemade chips is crucial. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite chips recipes – Chili Lime Plantain Chips
These baked plantain chips are delicious on their own or can be eaten served with dips, salsas, guacamole, etc. Growing up, plantains weren’t a staple in our Southern (Mississippi) culture. But, as I got older and started traveling more and trying new cuisines, I fell in love with plantains!
And, making homemade plantain chips is one of my favorite ways to eat them. These baked plantain chips are gluten free, grain free, vegan, dairy free, and paleo.
Watch Healthy Snacks Video Below
Ingredients for Plantain Chips
I think you’ll be surprised at just how easy it is to make these homemade plantain chips. Here’s what you’ll need…
- Green Plantains – for this particular recipe, I’m using the green plantains because I don’t want them to be sweet. However, sometimes I make sweet plantain chips with the plantains that are more ripe.
- Avocado or Coconut Oil – to help these crisp up while baking, I’ll be adding an oil. I like to use avocado or melted coconut oil since they both have high smoke points and are not pro-inflammatory.
- Seasonings – for the chili lime flavor, I’ll be adding some fresh lime juice and chili powder along with some sea salt. However, if you’re not a fan of the chili lime flavor, feel free to eliminate it altogether and just add sea salt for a basic plantain chips recipe.
How to Make Plantain Chips
- Peel them. Green Plantains are difficult to peel by hand. So, you’ll want to run a knife along the peel to remove it. Just make sure you don’t cut too far into the flesh.
- Slice them. To ensure that all of my plantain chips are the same size (and therefore cook at the same rate), I like to use a mandoline slicer.
- Season them. Add the plantain slices to a bowl and toss to coat them with all of the seasonings.
- Bake them. Line the plantain slices onto a lined baking sheet (no overlapping) and bake.
- Serve them. Let cool completely before serving.
Other Healthy Snack Ideas
If you’re on the search for more healthy snack ideas that are gluten free, grain free, paleo, dairy free, and delicious, here’s a few of my favorites.
- Flourless Brownies – grain free, high in protein, super delicious!
- Ranch Roasted Almonds – craving a salty, crunchy snack? Try these!
- Hydrating Coconut Water Fruit Popsicles – so refreshing and low calorie
- Mango Pineapple Energy Balls – these are kid friendly and only 100 calories per ball
- Homemade Jello – great for hair, skin, nails, leaky gut, and kid friendly!
- Frozen Banana Snickers – these will satisfy your sweets & chocolate cravings in an instant!
Nutrition Info for Chili Lime Plantain Chips
The macros below are for 1 serving. This recipe makes 4 servings.