Hey y’all! Today’s recipe post is part 3 of a healthy lunch box meal prep series I’m doing with Monbento where I’m sharing 5 Make-Ahead Healthy Lunch Box Ideas using their popular Bento Boxes, MB Jars, and MB Water Bottle. In this post, I’m sharing my Pecan Butternut Squash Chicken and Wild Rice dish.
All of the Monbento containers are BPA Free, airtight, and dishwasher safe. If you’re looking for super functional lunch boxes, their containers are amazing! Use code KAYLACHANDLER10 for 10% Off the entire website!
This chicken and wild rice dish is sure to get you into the Fall spirit. I love the sweet and savory combination with the extra crunch from the pecans. It’s 100% gluten free and can be made vegan by eliminating the chicken. It can be prepped in advance for healthy lunch meal prep and will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Pecan Butternut Squash Chicken and Wild Rice | Gluten FreeCourse: Lunch, DinnerDifficulty: Medium
This Chicken and Wild Rice dish is gluten free and perfect to meal prep in advance for lunch or dinner.
2 C. Low Sodium Chicken Broth (use vegetable broth if prepping as a vegan dish)
1 C. Water
1 C. Wild Rice
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 C. Butternut Squash, peeled & cubed
1/2 C. Yellow Onion, chopped
1/3 C. Pecans, chopped
1/3 C. Dried Cranberries
Fresh Parsley, to garnish
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Then, add in the wild rice, Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp sea salt. Stir to combine, cover with a lid, and cook for 35-45 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Season chicken breast, to taste, with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder. Rub seasoning all over the chicken breasts.
- I’ll be using my pressure cooker to cook the chicken. In the pressure cooker, add a rack along with 1 cup of water. Secure the pressure cooking lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Pressure cook on high for 10-12 minutes. Once done, do a quick release. **For baking, add the chicken to a baking dish with a splash of water. Bake at 400 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until done.
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred it with a fork.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp of avocado or coconut oil along with the chopped onion. Saute the onion for 2 minutes. Then, add in the cubed butternut squash and toss to coat with the oil. Cover with a lid and let cook until the butternut squash is soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- Once the butternut squash mixture is done, add in the chopped pecans and cranberries. Continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Then, add in the cooked wild rice. Stir to combine. Then, add in the shredded chicken. Stir to combine.
- Add a splash of chicken broth, if necessary, to avoid it being too dry along with extra sea salt and pepper, to taste. Continue mixing until fully combined.
- When ready to serve, garnish with fresh parsley and ENJOY!
Nutritional Info (Macros)
Below, I’ve calculated the macros for 1 serving of the Pecan Butternut Squash Chicken and Wild Rice.
Looking for More Healthy Lunch Ideas?
If you’re on the search for more healthy lunch recipes, I’ve listed a few of my favorites below!
- Turkey Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad (grain free and paleo)
- Autumn Harvest Nourishing Buddha Bowl (vegan and plant-based)
- Loaded Burger Bowl Salad In A Jar (grain free & low carb!)
- Meal Replacement Superfood Smoothie (for boosting weight loss)
- Creamy Salmon Salad (great for sandwiches, wraps, etc.)
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Monbento, and I did receive compensation for this post. All of the opinions are my own. Thank you for your support! It is because of you that I’m able to maintain this blog and continue posting new recipes and content for y’all.