Hey Y’all! Christmas is only a few days away, and I felt inspired to do a mini video series where I’ll be sharing 3 Christmas recipes that you and your family can indulge in during this time.
If you’ve ever wanted to impress those family members who think anything healthy is suppose to taste like grass (we all have a few of those …. lol), then these 3 recipes are sure to win them over. They’ll be TEAM HEALTHY in no time! 😉
The first recipe in this mini Christmas series is my Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole. And, let me tell you… it is FULL of flavor. Super savory!
Of course, it is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Grain Free, and Paleo-friendly. It can also be made keto-friendly by simply eliminating the sweet potatoes.
This casserole would be perfect to serve on Christmas morning or at a holiday brunch. And, feel free to do all of the prep work the night beforehand if it’ll make your life a little easier.
Check out the video below to watch me make it…
Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Mandoline Slicer optional
- 3 Sweet Potatoes, medium sized
- 1 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 6 Slices Uncured Bacon
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper, de-seeded and chopped (any color)
- 1/2-1 lb Breakfast Sausage
- 2 C. Curly Kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 11 Eggs
- 1/2 C. Plant-Based Milk
- 1/3 C. Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp EACH of Garlic and Onion Powder
- Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a 9×9 or 9×13 baking dish with avocado oil and set aside. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Then, using a mandoline slicer, slice them into about 1/8-1/4 inch thick round slices. You can also use a knife.
- Add the sliced sweet potatoes to a bowl along with 1 Tbsp of avocado oil and sea salt and pepper, to taste. Toss to combine. Then, spread the sweet potato slices evenly onto the baking sheets. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until they're soft, making sure to flip them halfway through baking. Once done, remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon on each side until it's fully browned. Then, transfer the bacon to a plate with a paper towel to soak up the excess grease. Once they've cooled off, crumble or cut them into small pieces.
- Then, add the chopped onion and bell pepper to the skillet (with the leftover bacon grease) and saute until they're slightly soft. Next, add the breakfast sausage and continue to cook until it's fully browned. Lastly, add in the chopped kale and give it a good mix until it's fully worked into the sausage mixture. Allow the kale to cook until it's wilted, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Turn off the heat and set the skillet mixture aside while we prep the egg mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs, milk, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and pepper. Whisk until fully combined. Set bowl aside.
- Going back to the baking dish, line the bottom of the dish with half of the sweet potato slices. Then, add half of the sausage skillet mixture on top of the sweet potato layer. Add the remaining sweet potato slices on top of the sausage mixture followed by the remaining sausage mixture on top of the sweet potatoes. Pour the egg mixture evenly over top. Top the egg mixture off with the crumbled bacon pieces. Slightly pat the bacon pieces into the egg mixture.
- Bake the casserole for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs are fully set. Once done, let it cool for 10 minutes. Then, it's ready to slice and serve!