Almond milk has gotten much publicity in recent years as a healthier alternative to dairy milk. Yes – it is much better for you than pasteurized dairy milk (organic raw/unpasteurized dairy milk is another story) simply because it’s lower in fat, vegan, and doesn’t contain added hormones, estrogens, steroids, growth hormones, etc.
However, many popular brands of almond milk contain ingredients that are questionable (yes, even some organic brands). Nut milks have become wildly popular! In fact, some people may consume some sort of nut milk on a daily basis, which is why it’s so important that you understand what (exactly) it is you’re consuming.
Two ingredients to AVOID:
- Natural Flavors (very likely to contain MSG)
- Carrageenan (some argue this is a carcinogen.. AKA can cause cancer)
**These ingredients may be safe in low dosages, but if you’re consuming commercial brand almond milks containing one or more of these ingredients on a daily to weekly basis, I would suggest reducing your intake or making your own based on my step-by-step guide below.
I suggest making your own almond milk (it’s very simple)… Be sure to save this guide to your phone or computer for easy reference!
- High Speed Blender
- Nut Milk Bag, Cheesecloth, or Very Fine Mesh Strainer (to strain milk)
- Pitcher (to pour strained milk into)
- 1 C. Raw Almonds (Organic, if possible)
- 2 C. Filtered Water
- 3 Dates (Organic, if possible)
- Vanilla Bean or Extract (optional)
- Soak almonds in clean water for 24 hours (almonds will expand so be sure to put enough water)
- Add soaked almonds and 2 C. of filtered water to high speed blender, blend until smooth
- Strain milk through a nut milk bag, cheesecloth, or very fine mesh strainer (nut milk bags are cheap on Amazon)
- Add strained milk, 3 Dates, and vanilla bean/extract (optional) to high speed blender, blend until smooth
**Store in refrigerator. Will last in refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
My Recommended Products for this Recipe:
- Nut Milk Bag – $9.99 + Free Shipping
- Raw, Organic Almonds – $27.99 (2 LBS) + Free Shipping
- Organic Dates – $12.42 (14 oz) + Free Shipping
- Vitamix Blender – $460.55 + Free Shipping, or…
- Ninja Professional Blender – $126.95 + Free Shipping
Do you send items to México?