Okay, y’all… Today, I’m sharing a health ‘secret’ that I do daily to keep myself looking young, staying energized, and to help keep my body cleansed naturally. And, that secret is – Drinking Lemon Water Daily!
So many health gurus, celebrities, models, and just regular ‘ol folks like us swear by drinking lemon water daily as a natural health tonic. And, there are lots of reasons to back this up!
If you’re not already drinking lemon water daily, I hope this article convinces you to start! Plus, it’s one of the cheapest natural remedies out there, so no excuses. 😉
#1 – Lemons are a great source of Vitamin C
When you think of Vitamin C, you most likely think about its ability to boost your immune system. And, that’s absolutely true! However, vitamin C is used for lots of other things in the body.
- Vitamin C is necessary for healthy gums. In fact, if you have bleeding gums on a regular basis, it could be a sign of a vitamin C deficiency.
- Vitamin C helps to increase iron absorption in the body. So, if you have low iron levels, drinking lemon water daily (with meals that contain iron) can help tremendously with increasing iron levels naturally.
- Vitamin C improves energy levels and lessens fatigue. This most likely has to do with the fact that the most concentrated amount of vitamin C is stored in the adrenal glands. And, healthy adrenal glands are necessary for proper energy function. So, if you struggle with tiredness or fatigue, I highly recommend increasing your vitamin C intake.
- Vitamin C is also necessary in the production of collagen. Yep, that’s right! So, this means that if you want to stay looking young, you need adequate levels of vitamin C to promote collagen growth. In fact, vitamin C is so essential in the production of collagen that a vitamin C deficiency can lead to a loss of collagen, which can cause rapid aging, wrinkles, saggy skin, etc. We don’t want that! 😉
- And, many many more benefits!
It’s important to note that our bodies do not produce/make vitamin C on their own, so it’s essential to get it via your diet or supplementation. And, one of the easiest ways to do so is by drinking lemon water daily. It only takes about 2-3 medium-large lemons to get your necessary daily intake.
I like to drink my lemon water first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and sometimes I’ll add ginger, cayenne, or apple cider vinegar to get even more health benefits. Get my morning Lemon Ginger Tonic recipe below!
#2 – The citric acid in lemons are also beneficial
The citric acid in lemons can help to stir up those digestive juices in your gut, which will help your body to break down foods better leading to better absorption and assimilation of nutrients. In addition to drinking my warm lemon water in the mornings, I also like to add lemon juice to my water with my meals (especially lunch and dinner) to help optimize my digestion.
In addition to that, the citric acid in lemons is also great for preventing kidney stones. So, if that’s something that you suffer from or have dealt with in the pass, you could greatly benefits from drinking lemon water daily.
#3 – Lemons contain powerful antibacterial properties
The combination of its acidity and other antibacterial properties makes lemon juice a great natural remedy for preventing bacterial infections. Combine this with its immune-boosting properties and you’ll be doing your body good in terms of preventing common sicknesses, such as the cold, sore throat, etc.
#4 – Lemons may help with weight loss
Some studies suggest that lemons may help with weight loss by improving insulin resistance. However, these studies were done on mice, so there’s no direct evidence yet. As far as human experience, I can tell you that thousands of people swear by drinking lemon water daily to help increase their metabolism, speed up weight loss, and to make them healthier overall.
Drinking lemon water daily is as easy as adding fresh lemon juice to water. But, sometimes I like to get creative with my morning lemon water so I don’t get bored with it. Below, I’m sharing my morning Lemon Ginger Tonic.