Whipped cottage cheese has been showing up on all of my social media feeds the past few months and for good reason! It’s very versatile and can be used as the foundation ingredient for many high protein snacks. Because of its mild flavor, you can make sweet or savory snacks with it (recipe ideas below). It’s also a good source of protein and an easy way to increase your overall protein intake throughout the day if you’re not sensitive to dairy.
What is Whipped Cottage Cheese?
Simple – it’s cottage cheese that’s been added to a food processor or blender and blended until extra smooth and has a whipped-like texture. It’s creamy, thick, and mild in flavor, which makes it pair very well with lots of other foods. You can make sweet or savory high protein snacks with it as you’ll see I’ve done with the recipe ideas below.
How to make Whipped Cottage Cheese
To make whipped cottage cheese, you’ll need at least 1-2 cups of regular cottage cheese. You can use low fat or whole milk. Both are delicious! Simply add it to a blender or food processor and blend until extra smooth and creamy. You may have to stop and scrape the sides of the processor/blender a few times to ensure all of it gets blended. And, that’s the extent of it!
At this point, you can go ahead and store it in the fridge and use it as you wish throughout the week. Or, you can get creative and add different spices, seasonings, fruits, etc. and come up with different whipped cottage cheese blends. You can make breakfast bowls, dips, spreads, parfaits, etc. The options are limitless. And, best of all, these high protein snacks will help you reach your daily protein goals!
Cottage Cheese vs Greek Yogurt
Greek yogurt gets all the attention when it comes to making high protein snacks, but did you know that cottage cheese actually has slightly more protein per serving than greek yogurt? Yep! 1 Cup of Cottage Cheese has 25g of protein while 1 Cup of Greek Yogurt has 23g of protein. Don’t get me wrong, I love making high protein snack recipes with greek yogurt, but I must say I prefer cottage cheese because it has more of a mild flavor so it’s more versatile and pairs well with more foods.
High Protein Snacks Using Cottage Cheese (6 ideas!)
While you can certainly make the basic whipped cottage cheese recipe to snack on throughout the week, if you want to spruce it up a bit, I’m sharing six delicious high protein snacks below that’ll have you craving these healthy high protein snacks every week! All of these high protein snacks are gluten free and vegetarian. Most of them can be made low carb and keto-friendly by using a low carb sweetener instead of honey.
High Protein Snack #1 – Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Parfait
This high protein strawberry lemon cheesecake parfait is unbelievably delicious. In fact, my husband asks me to make it for him every week! I spruce up the whipped cottage cheese with some lemon and sweetener. Then, pair it with my homemade strawberry jam and crumbled grain free snickerdoodle cookies from Siete.
High Protein Snack #2 – Whipped Buffalo Cheese Dip
If you’re looking for more of a savory snack with a kick, you’ll absolutely love this buffalo dip! It’s thick, creamy, and full of flavor. I like to pair it with fresh vegetables, such as carrots, celery, cucumber, bell peppers, etc. But, you can also serve it with crackers or chips. And, you can adjust the spice level based on how much hot sauce you add to the dip (or eliminate it altogether).
High Protein Snack #3 – Whipped Cottage Cheese Toast (2 ways!)
Are you a toast person? With whipped cottage cheese, there are endless variations of toast you can make whether it be for a healthy breakfast or as a healthy high protein snack. It’s as simple as spreading the whipped cottage cheese on a slice of toast and adding your favorite toppings.
Today, I’m sharing a sweet and savory option. One is a honey peach and pistachios toast and the other is an avocado tomato toast drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and top with everything bagel seasoning. Both are insanely tasty and a must try!
High Protein Snack #4 – Savory Bruschetta Cheese Spread
This simple bruschetta cheese spread is so savory, filling, and full of flavor! The base is a blend of whipped cottage cheese, olive oil, and herbs. I top it with a simple mix of cherry tomatoes, basil, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and balsamic glaze. It’s SO good! I like to pair it with gluten free ciabatta bread, but it’s also delicious with crackers. In the photo, it’s look so fancy, but I promise you it only takes a couple minutes to put together!
High Protein Snack #5 – Protein Packed Blueberry Whipped Power Bowl
Believe it or not, you can actually make a high protein power bowl with whipped cottage cheese! And, best of all, it’s low carb friendly. The base is a simple blend of cottage cheese, frozen blueberries, and monk fruit sweetener. Add your favorite healthy toppings, and you have yourself a protein-packed healthy power bowl that can serve as an easy high protein snack or breakfast.
6 High Protein Snacks Using Whipped Cottage Cheese
For Basic Whipped Cottage Cheese (6 servings)
- 2 C. Cottage Cheese, any percentage works
Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Parfait (2 servings)
- 1 C. Cottage Cheese, whipped (4 percent)
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
- Monk Fruit, to taste (or any sweetener of your choice)
- 1 C. Frozen Strawberries, defrosted
- 1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Siete Grain Free Shortbread Cookies, crumbled
Whipped Buffalo Cheese Dip (3 servings)
Whipped Cottage Cheese Peach and Honey Toast (1 serving)
Whipped Cottage Cheese Avocado Tomato Toast (1 serving)
Savory Bruschetta Cheese Spread (4 servings)
- 1 C. Cottage Cheese, 4 percent
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 twigs Fresh Rosemary, de-stemmed
- 2 twigs Fresh Thyme, de-stemmed
- Sea Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 C. Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 C. Fresh Basil, chopped
- Balsamic Glaze, to taste
Protein Packed Blueberry Whipped Power Bowl (2 servings)
- 1 C. Cottage Cheese
- 1 C. Frozen Blueberries
- 2 Tbsp Monk Fruit (or your favorite sweetener)
- Healthy Toppings of Choice (i.e. granola, fresh fruit, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, hemp seeds, nut butter, etc.)
For Basic Whipped Cottage Cheese:
- Add cottage cheese to a food processor using the 'S' blade or to a blender. Blend until extra creamy and smooth. You may need to stop and scrape the sides until all of the cottage cheese is fully blended.
- Store in the fridge in glass airtight container for up to 7 days.
Strawberry Lemon Cheesecake Parfait:
- For the jam: In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the defrosted strawberries. As they begin heating through, gently break them up with a spatula, fork, potation masher, etc. Then, add the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Continue simmering and breaking up the strawberries until it reaches your desired consistency. Transfer jam to a glass jar and place in the fridge to cool off while we prep the cheesecake layer.
- For the cheesecake layer: In a bowl, add the whipped cottage cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sweetener. Whisk to combine.
- Assemble the parfaits: In a small glass jar or cup, add one layer of the cheesecake mixture followed by one layer of the strawberry jam. Then, crumble up one cookie and add it. Add another layer of cheesecake and jam. Then, top it off with one more crumbled cookie. Repeat this processor with the second parfait. This recipe yields two servings and will keep in the fridge (covered) for up to 5-7 days.
Whipped Buffalo Cheese Dip:
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until extra smooth.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and extra hot sauce (optional). Enjoy this dip with carrots, cucumber, celery, bell peppers, crackers, chips, etc. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Whipped Cottage Cheese Peach and Honey Toast:
- Spread whipped cottage cheese onto toast. Top with peach slices, chopped pistachios, cinnamon, and drizzle with honey. Enjoy!
Whipped Cottage Cheese Avocado Tomato Toast (1 serving)
- Spread whipped cottage cheese onto toast. Add avocado and tomato slices. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle everything bagel seasoning over top. Enjoy!
Savory Bruschetta Cheese Spread:
- For the spread: Add cottage cheese, 1 tbsp olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, sea salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender and blend until thoroughly combined.
- For the topping: In a small bowl, add the cherry tomatoes, 1 Tbsp olive oil, chopped basil, sea salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Assembly for One: Add 1/4 C. of the cheese spread to a serving plate or bowl. Top with 1/4 of the tomato topping mixture. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, to taste. Spread onto gluten free ciabatta toast or enjoy with crackers.
Protein Packed Blueberry Whipped Power Bowl:
- Add cottage cheese, frozen blueberries, and sweetener to a blender and blend until extra smooth.
- When ready to serve, transfer half of this mixture to a bowl, add your favorite healthy toppings, and enjoy!
Looking for more healthy and high protein snacks?
If you’re on the search for more healthy and high protein snack ideas, here’s a few of my favorites.
- Paleo Banana Bread Protein Bars – so moist and full of flavor!
- Flourless Protein Brownies – will satisfy all of your chocolate cravings!
- 2-Minute Healthy Snack Ideas – require zero cooking
- Ranch Roasted Almonds – delicious way to satisfy your salty cravings with an added crunch