Watermelon salad is one of my go-to healthy salads to make during the hot summer months. The crisp and perfectly sweet watermelon combined with fresh mint and cucumber makes this summer salad a family favorite. And, when you add the refreshing lime dressing and feta cheese, it’s the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
Watermelons are in peak season in July and August, which also happens to be the hottest months here in South Texas. And, let me tell you – there’s nothing better than a fresh watermelon or watermelon salad on those hot summer days. It’s cooling, hydrating, and packed with natural electrolytes.
Watermelon Salad Recipe Ingredients
What makes watermelon salad so tasty is it’s perfect blend of sweet and savory with a pop of herbal flavor from the mint and basil. It’ll certainly have your tastebuds doing a happy dance!
- Watermelon: I’ve used both seeded and seedless watermelons with this recipe and both always turn out delicious. However, I will say the seedless is a bit easier to eat because you don’t have to spit out any seeds.
- Cucumber: This adds an extra crunch and hydrating aspect to the salad.
- Mint & Basil: These add that herbal flare to the salad that is a must! Both of these compliment the watermelon so well and really help to round out this watermelon salad.
- Red Onion: To add a bit of sharpness and extra crunch, I also like to add thinly sliced red onion. But, this is optional.
- Feta Cheese: This brings some creaminess and savoriness to the salad. Feel free to substitute with dairy free cheese crumbles.
Watermelon Feta Salad Dressing
This honey lime dressing really helps to enhance all the flavors from this watermelon salad, so you definitely don’t want to skip on it.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This adds that extra layer of richness to the salad.
- Lime Zest and Juice: For brightness and a bit of tang!
- Honey: Helps to balance the oil and lime.
- Sea Salt & Pepper: To add a pop of flavor!
How To Make Watermelon Salad
This salad is very easy to make and only takes a few minutes. It’s best served right away, so keep that in mind before making it.
- Step 1: Prepare all salad ingredients, including the watermelon, cucumber, red onion, mint, basil, and feta cheese.
- Step 2: Prepare the lime dressing.
- Step 3: Add dressing to the salad. Toss to combine. Serve right away.
Watermelon Feta Salad Recipe Variations (make it your own!)
This summer salad is very customizable, so feel free to make it your own. As long as you keep the watermelon, mint, and feta as the foundation to this salad, you can’t go wrong with adding a variety of other delicious ingredients. Here’s a few ideas for you:
- Add some crunch: If you like that crunch factor in your summer salads, feel free to add chopped walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc.
- Eliminate the onion: If you’re not a fan of onions or the extra spice it brings to the salad, just eliminate it.
- Add avocado: Watermelon and avocado also pair really well together!
- All about spice: If you want to add more spice to this salad, try adding some red pepper flakes or even Tajin!
- Dairy Free: If you can’t eat dairy, feel free to substitute the feta cheese with dairy free cheese crumbles.
More Healthy Salad Recipes You Must Try
If you’re on the search for more delicious, healthy, and refreshing summer salads, here’s a few of my favorites.
- The Perfect Summer Fruit Salad with a Creamy Yogurt Dressing – has a dairy free option
- Mango Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Cashew Dressing – perfect for a healthy summer lunch
- Mediterranean Chicken Pasta Salad – switch things up with this delicious pasta salad (grain free)
- Mason Jar Cobb Salads with Homemade Ranch – perfect for a quick and easy lunch and packed with protein to keep you full!
Watermelon Salad With Feta, Mint, and Cucumber
For the Watermelon Salad:
- 10 C. Watermelon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 English Cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/2 C. Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
- 1/4 C. Fresh Basil Leaves, chopped
- 1 C. Feta Cheese Crumbles (opt for dairy free cheese crumbles for vegan, paleo, etc.)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all watermelon salad ingredients, except the feta cheese.
- In a separate bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over the watermelon salad and gently toss to combine. Top with feta cheese and either toss again or keep the cheese displayed on top. This salad is best served fresh.