Pomegranate and pomegranate juice is quite tart yet absolutely delicious and satisfying. This fruit dates back as far as 5,000 BC and have been a prized fruit in many cultures thanks to its many health benefits.
Pomegranate Juice Benefits
Pomegranates are loaded with beneficial antioxidants and polyphenols, which can help to fight inflammation, disease, and support heart health. And, the juice of the pomegranate is where much of the health benefits lie.
In fact, pomegranate juice may help to lower blood pressure by inhibiting an enzyme that naturally occurs in the body, called angiotensin converting enzyme (aka ACE), which produces angiotensin II. Angiotensin II is a substance that constricts blood vessels causing the heart to work harder and can lead to high blood pressure. This is why ACE inhibitors are very common when it comes to lowering blood pressure because they help to relax the veins and arteries.
In some studies, pomegranate juice has been shown to be a natural ACE inhibitor and therefore able to reduce blood pressure with regular consumption. [7, 8, 9, 10]
Pomegranates can also help to fight inflammation, which can improve the health of your arteries.
Of course, as with most natural remedies, more research needs to be done to provide solid evidence and to observe the longterm benefits. Regardless, you can be sure by drinking pomegranate juice regularly, you’ll be consuming an array of health promoting compounds, including antioxidants, polyphenols, and nutrients.
Homemade Pomegranate Juice – Ingredients
Homemade pomegranate juice is very easy to make and super tasty. All you need is the following…
- Pomegranate Arils – 3 C. of arils will yield about 4 cups of juice. You only need to drink about 1/2 C. each day to start reaping all of the amazing benefits of pomegranate juice.
- Lemons – this is optional for extra tanginess and flavor
How to Homemade Pomegranate Juice
- Step 1: De-seed 3-4 pomegranates or buy the arils at the store to speed things up.
- Step 2: Add arils to a blender and blend for about 10 seconds (long enough to release the juice).
- Step 3: Strain the juice into a bowl or pitcher using a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer.
- Step 4: Enjoy 1/2 C. each day to start reaping all the amazing benefits!
How Much Pomegranate Juice Should You Drink Per Day?
Half a cup of pomegranate juice per day is enough to start reaping the many health benefits of this delicious fruit. See video below on how to easily make homemade pomegranate juice.
How To Store Pomegranate Juice
The homemade pomegranate juice recipe listed below will stay fresh for up to a week in the fridge and up to a month in the freezer.
3 Healthy Drink Recipes to Lower High Blood Pressure and Support Heart Health (recipe video)
Looking for More Healthy Drink Recipes?
If you’re on the search for more healthy drink recipes, here’s a few of my favorites.
- Homemade Iced Hibiscus Tea (great for heart health, high blood pressure, skin, and blood sugar)
- Blueberry Beet Juice (can help to improve blood flow and boost energy)
- My Go-To Hormone Balancing Smoothie (support hormone health)
- Meal Replacement Superfood Smoothie (great for boosting weight loss)