This healthy anti-inflammatory soup recipe is loaded with nourishing vegetables and spices to not only help reduce inflammation, but also boost immunity and improve your overall wellness. It’s called – Golden Soup – and it’s a spin off of the traditional golden turmeric milk recipe.
The traditional golden milk recipe originates from the Indian culture and is used in Ayurvedic medicine to promote healing and balance in the body. Turmeric is the “star” ingredient in both golden milk and this golden soup recipe and can do wonders with reducing inflammation in the body.
Why You’ll Love This Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup Recipe
This golden soup is warming, comforting, and healing to the body. I love making it at the height of cold and flu season and especially when I’m sick because it has amazing immune-boosting properties.
The warming spices used in this soup – turmeric, ginger, coriander, etc. – not only make this golden soup extra soothing but also gives it loads of flavor! I like to top it off with some roasted vegetables for the perfect comforting vegan and dairy free healthy soup.
Benefits of This Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup Recipe
As I stated above, the main spice in this soup recipe is turmeric. Turmeric contains a compound, called curcumin, which has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. And, inflammation is linked to many diseases!
Additionally, curcumin may also help to boost brain health, lower your risk of heart disease, and prevent certain cancers. Consuming turmeric with black pepper can help to maximize the absorption of curcumin by up to 2,000%.
What’s In This Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup?
This golden soup is loaded with lots of other healthy and immune-boosting ingredients besides turmeric.
- Mixed Vegetables: Cauliflower, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Onion, and Celery give this golden soup a classic vegetable soup savoriness.
- Cashews: To achieve an extra creamy texture without adding cream, I’m using raw cashews.
- Warming Spices: The turmeric, ginger, coriander, black pepper, and cinnamon give this soup recipe a soothing and comforting flavor.
- Roasted Toppings: The toppings are optional but I like to roast some butternut squash, cauliflower, and chickpeas to take the flavor of this soup to the next level.
How to Make This Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup?
The base of this golden soup is a one pot meal, so it’s super easy to whip up!
- Saute the Vegetables: In a large soup pot, add some oil along with the onion and saute until translucent. Add the remaining vegetables and saute another 5-10 minutes.
- Season the Vegetables: Add all the seasonings to the sauteed vegetables and mix to combine.
- Add Broth & Simmer: Add the broth and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Blend: Transfer soup to a blender and blend until creamy
- Roasted Vegetables (optional): Top with roasted vegetables.
Storage and Re-heating:
This soup makes 8 servings and will last in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to one month.
To reheat this golden soup, feel free to reheat on the stovetop or in a microwave. If I’m on-the-go, I like to use this portable lunchbox oven.
Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup Recipe Video
Anti-Inflammatory Golden Soup with Turmeric
- 4 Tbsp Avocado Oil, divided
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 3 C. Butternut Squash, cubed
- 1 15 oz Can of Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced (or 1 tsp)
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 4 Carrot Stalks, peeled and chopped
- 1 C. Raw Cashews
- 1 Tbsp Ground Turmeric
- 1.5 tsp EACH of coriander and cumin
- 1 tsp EACH of ground ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 6 C. Vegetable Broth
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional, for spice)
- Juice of 1 Lemon (optional, for tanginess)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add all soup spices to a small bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- For the roasted vegetable topping: In a mixing bowl, add 1 C. of the cubed butternut squash, 2 C. of the cauliflower florets, and the whole can of chickpeas. Add 2 tbsp of avocado oil over top. Season, to taste, with your desired seasonings. I used sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and coriander. Toss until the vegetables and chickpeas are fully coated with the oil and seasonings. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add in 2 tbsp of avocado oil along with the chopped onion. Saute until the onions are slightly soft and translucent. Then, add in the minced garlic and saute another 2-3 minutes. Next, add in the chopped celery, chopped carrots, cashews, remaining cauliflower florets, and remaining butternut squash. Continue sauteeing for 5 minutes. Add in all the spices and toss to combine, making sure all of the ingredients are coated with the spices (saute another 2-3 minutes).
- Pour the vegetable broth into the soup pot. Turn heat to high and bring to a light boil. Then, reduce the heat to low-medium, cover pot with a lid, and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Once the vegetables are tender, transfer the soup in small batches into a blender, blending it every time you add 2-3 scoops, until all of the soup has been blended. Transfer blended soup back into the soup pot to keep warm. At this point, check to see if the soup needs more sea salt or other seasonings. Feel free to add in some cayenne (for spice) or lemon juice (for tanginess).
- When ready to serve, transfer soup to a bowl and top with the roasted vegetables.
More Anti-Inflammatory Recipes
Are you on the search for more anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting recipes? Here’s a few of my personal favorites…
- The Ultimate Winter Salad with Roasted Vegetables (grain free & vegan)
- 5-Day Anti-Inflammatory Meal Prep Menu (including breakfast, lunch, dinner, & snacks)
- 6 Homemade Wellness Shot Recipes featuring my Lemon Ginger Turmeric Shot (boost immunity & fight inflammation!)
- Meal Replacement Superfood Smoothie (with lots of anti-inflammatory foods)
- Another 5-Day Anti-Inflammatory Meal Prep Menu (including breakfast, lunch, dinner, & snacks)