This Buffalo Chicken Casserole made with spaghetti squash is a delicious and easy healthy dinner recipe you can meal prep in advance for those busy weeknights. This casserole is full of flavor with a hint of spice (not too spicy though!), and I guarantee the whole family will love it (yes, even the picky eaters)!
Best of all, it’s super healthy and an easy way to sneak in extra vegetables! It’s gluten free, grain free, and dairy free. It’s also low calorie and high in protein at 315 calories and 30g of protein for 1 serving, which is two squares.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Casserole | Video
If you’re a fan of buffalo wings or buffalo sauce in general, this buffalo chicken casserole is a must try! Every time I bring it to a potluck with friends, they’re shocked that it’s actually healthy and contains so many vegetables.
Not only that, but it’s super easy to make and can be paired with any of your favorite healthy side dishes.
How to Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This buffalo chicken casserole was the dinner on one of my recent 5-Day Weight Loss Meal Prep Plans because it’s perfect for meal prepping and even batch prepping. You can freeze this casserole for up to one month. I would recommend going ahead and cutting it into squares and wrapping them individually for easy defrosting and convenience.
It’ll stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days so it’s perfect to include in your weekly meal prep routine. I like to pair it with a side of steamed broccoli and 1/2 of an avocado for some healthy fats.
Storage in Fridge: up to 5 days
Storage in Freezer: up to 1 month
Key Ingredients for this Buffalo Chicken Casserole (plus substitution ideas)
These are the key ingredients for making this buffalo chicken casserole taste amazing (plus substitution ideas).
- Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce: This is my absolute favorite brand of buffalo sauce to use in this casserole. Not only because it tastes amazing, but also because it’s full of healthy ingredients with zero artificial ingredients. But, technically, any buffalo sauce will work!
- Plain Coconut or Greek Yogurt: To add to the creaminess of this buffalo chicken casserole, I like to include yogurt as well. Personally, I like to use plain coconut yogurt to keep this casserole dairy free, but feel free to use plain greek yogurt as well… just make sure the yogurt is PLAIN (no flavors or sugars added).
- Spaghetti Squash: Of course, one of the main ingredients in this casserole is the spaghetti squash. You’ll need 1 large squash or 2 small-medium in order to yield 4 cups worth. Substitution Ideas: If you’re not a fan of spaghetti squash, try substituting it with cauliflower rice or thin zucchini noodles.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Casserole
This healthy dinner recipe is so easy to make. All it takes is prepping each layer and then bringing it all together into a casserole dish to bake.
- Step 1: Add the cooked spaghetti squash strands, sauteed vegetables, and shredded chicken to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add the buffalo sauce ingredients to a separate mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
Step 3: Pour the buffalo sauce mixture into the bowl with the shredded chicken & squash. Mix to combine.
Step 4: Add mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Bake until done.
What to Serve With this Buffalo Chicken Casserole
I usually serve this buffalo chicken casserole with a side of steamed broccoli and fresh avocado. But, here are some other healthy side options…
- Steamed Vegetables (i.e. cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, etc.)
- A simple side salad with a healthy ranch dressing or homemade ranch
- Honey Butter Glazed Carrots
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes or Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Tips for the Best Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Make sure you roast the spaghetti squash long enough to ensure that the spaghetti-like strands are extra soft and not crunchy. You’ll know you’ve cooked the squash long enough when you can easily pierce the flesh with a fork.
- For the best shredded chicken that’s super moist, I like to use my pressure cooker.
- Whether you use coconut or greek yogurt, make sure it’s plain with no added flavors or sugars.
Check Out My Popular 5-Day Healthy Meal Prep Menus
I have lots of free 5-Day Healthy Meal Prep menus on my blog. This healthy dinner recipe is one of the many recipes I feature on my free meal prep menus. Below, I’ve listed some of my favorite menus. All of them are weight loss friendly & gluten free.
- 5-Day Fat Loss Meal Prep (Flourless Brownies, Chicken Fajita Pasta Salad, Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, Coconut Flour Pancakes)
- 5-Day Weight Loss Meal Prep (Teriyaki Ground Turkey Bowl, Creamy Tuscan Chicken, Hormone-Supporting Chia Pudding)
- 5-Day Anti-Inflammatory Meal Prep (Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Lemon Ginger Energy Balls, Grain Free Fish Taco Bowl)
- 5-Day Weight Loss Meal Prep (Maple Berry Turkey Sausage, Sweet Potato Waffles, Chicken Pasta Salad)