With pumpkin season in full swing, don’t forget to save those seeds and make roasted pumpkin seeds. Roasted pumpkin seeds make for a tasty, healthy snack when you’re craving something crunchy and salty.
Whether you’re making jack-o-lanterns or pumpkin puree, don’t forget to save the pumpkin seeds. Pumpkin seeds are chock full of beneficial nutrients and contain loads of health benefits.
Here’s What You’ll Need to Make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Making roasted pumpkin seeds is probably much easier than you think and only requires 3 simple ingredients. However, you can get as creative as you’d like with different flavor combinations.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Of course, you’ll need raw pumpkin seeds from carving pumpkin or sugar (pie) pumpkins.
- Avocado Oil: Adding a light flavored oil will help to crispy them up while baking.
- Sea Salt: To help boost the flavor.
- Extra Flavors (optional): Get creative with cinnamon, brown sugar, tajin seasoning, ranch seasoning, etc. and build your own flavor combinations.
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
Roasting pumpkin seeds is much easier than you’d expect, so don’t throw away those seeds! Pumpkin seeds contain an outer shell and inner pepita and both are edible and nutritious.
- Step 1: After cutting open the pumpkin, use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and string flesh.
- Step 2: Transfer seeds to a strainer and run under cold water to separate the seeds from the stringy flesh. Spread seeds out onto a towel and allow seeds to dry out for 24 hours.
- Step 4: Add pumpkin seeds to a bowl along with oil, sea salt, and other seasonings (if desired).
- Step 5: Bake seeds until golden in color.
Benefits of Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are very nutritious whether you’re eating it whole with the shell or the pepita only. With the shell intact, you’ll be getting extra fiber and zinc. Additionally, pumpkin seeds contain magnesium, vitamin K, phosphorous, and potassium. They’ve been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and even anti-parasitic properties.
Watch How-To Recipe Video Below
How-To Make Roasted Pumpkin Seeds | Healthy SnacksCourse: Uncategorized
How to make roasted pumpkin seeds for a healthy snack option.
- Ingredients for Basic Recipe:
1/2 C. of Raw Pumpkin Seeds (from a carving pumpkin or sugar/pie pumpkin)
1 tsp Avocado Oil
Pinch of Sea Salt, to taste
- Ingredients for Cinnamon Sugar Recipe:
All of the ingredients above, plus…
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar (low carb option: 1 Tbsp Xylitol or Monk Fruit mix with 1/4 tsp Maple Syrup)
Dash of Cinnamon, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add pumpkin seeds to a mixing bowl along with the oil and toss to combine. Then, add all remaining seasonings and toss again until all of the pumpkin seeds are fully coated.
- Spread pumpkin seeds evenly onto the lined baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden in color.
- Once done, remove seeds from oven and let cool completely before serving or storing. ENJOY!
- Store at room temperature for up to 5-7 days.
Looking for More Healthy Snack Ideas:
If you’re on the search for more healthy snack ideas, here’s a few of my favorites.
- Pumpkin Spice Baked Oatmeal Muffin Cups (gluten and dairy free)
- Homemade Ranch Roasted Almonds (low carb & grain free)
- No-Bake Mango Pineapple Energy Balls (vegan & gluten free)
- Flourless Protein Brownies (only 100 calories per square!)
- 2- Ingredient Homemade Jello (gut healing & kid friendly)