One of the most common questions I get asked from clients & subscribers is can you meal prep smoothies? And, my answer is always – ABSOLUTELY YOU CAN! Smoothie meal prep is fast, easy, and can save you loads of time in the morning, especially if you drink a smoothie daily (like me!).
If you’re an avid smoothie drinker, then you know making a smoothie can sometimes take longer than expected because you have to pull out all of the individual ingredients, measure them out, and then put them away. Now I know this isn’t as time-consuming as cooking a full-blown meal, but it can become tedious, especially if you drink a smoothie everyday.
Meal Prep Smoothies with Smoothie Freezer Packs
This is where smoothie freezer packs save the day! Meal prepping your smoothies with freezer packs is embarrassingly easily because you only have to pull out all of the individual ingredients once.
Not only that but you can add pretty much all of your smoothie ingredients to the freezer packs – except the liquid – and just dump them into the blender whenever you’re ready to serve.
Why I prefer this method…
You can also meal prep smoothies by blending all of the ingredients first, adding them to a glass jar, and then freezing. However, I find that after you defrost them, the flavor just isn’t as good. It’s not as fresh. Plus, by pre-blending, you run the risk of oxidation, which decreases the nutritional content of the smoothie.
By adding the individual ingredients to freezer packs, you’re not losing any nutritional content (because it’s not pre-blended) and the flavor is much more fresh because you’re waiting to blend the ingredients until you’re ready to consume.
I’ve tried meal prepping smoothies both ways, and I can tell you that freezer packs are by far my favorite, especially in terms of maximum flavor and nutrition.
Helpful Tips & Recommendations…
Below, I’m sharing some smoothie recipe ideas that you can meal prep. But, you can meal prep pretty much any smoothie recipe. Here’s a few tips:
- Use reusable bags instead of plastic ones – I like these quart size bags because they’re not too big or too small.
- If using leafy greens, add them first to the bottom of the bag followed by fruit. Then, on top, add the powders, nut butters, etc. (as shown in the video)
- Feel free to freeze the individual fruits beforehand or use pre-frozen fruits (i.e. bananas, mango, pineapple, etc.) to avoid sticking. This isn’t necessary though and many times I skip this step.
- Smoothie freezer packs will last in the freezer for up to a month!
Watch Video – How to Meal Prep Smoothies
Looking for more healthy smoothie recipes?
If you’re on the search for healthy smoothie recipes, here’s a few of my favorites. You can meal prep any of these!
- My Top 3 Favorite Weight Loss Smoothies
- 5 Fat-Burning Breakfast Smoothies for Energy & Weight Loss!
- Gut-Healing Collagen Smoothie for Better Digestion, Hair, Skin, & Nails
- Ultimate Fat-Burning Detox Smoothie
- 3 Hormone-Balancing Smoothies using Adaptogenic Herbs
- Immune-Boosting Vitamin C Smoothie to Avoid Getting Sick!