Well, how is everyone holding up in self quarantine right now? I’m sure you’ve been trying many new recipes while being stuck at home. And, today, I’m going to add one more must-try recipe to your list – My Immune Boosting Vitamin C Smoothie!
This healthy smoothie is packed with nutrients, antioxidants, fiber, and antimicrobial ingredients to really give your immune system the boost it needs right now.
In fact, I try to drink this smoothie every year around flu season just to give me an extra boost. Plus, it’s actually delicious too… even kids will love it!
Alright, lets go over each ingredient and why it’s beneficial for boosting your immune system.
Here’s an overview of the ingredients and why they’re so beneficial to your immune system.
- Oranges – Orange are a great source of Vitamin C, which is an essential vitamin for boosting immunity. In fact, Vitamin C encourages the production of white blood cells which helps to fight off infection and it also acts as an antioxidant in the body helping to fight off free radicals.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are also high in Vitamin C. They also contain flavonoids, a type of antioxidant that can help to reduce damage to your cells and boost your immune system.
- Avocado – Avocados contains a slew of nutrients and are a great healthy fat. They also give the smoothie a creamier texture, which yields a better tasting smoothie.
- Hemp Seeds & Pumpkin Seeds – These seeds contain zing, which is a very important mineral when it comes to boosting immunity and warding off unwanted bacteria and viruses. Additionally, pumpkin seeds contain a phytonutrient, called lignans, which help to boost immunity, balance hormones, and prevent certain cancers.
- Virgin Coconut Oil – Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids (MCTs) which contain antimicrobial properties. It’s also a great healthy fat!
- Fresh Ginger Root – Ginger has been used medicinally for centuries due to its healing and detoxifying properties. In fact, it contains antibacterial and antiviral properties. It’s thought to help prevent viral infections by increasing your body’s core temperature and helping to flush toxins out much faster.
- Lemon – Lemons are another great source of vitamin C and also contain natural cleansing properties.
These foods are great to consume on their own, but I also enjoy adding them to smoothies if I’m looking for a quick immune booster and energizer.
Immune Boosting Vitamin C Smoothie| Immune Boosting FoodsCourse: Breakfast, SnacksDifficulty: Easy
1 C. Frozen Blueberries
2 Tbsp Hemp Seeds
2 Tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
1 tsp Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2-1 inch Fresh Ginger Root, peeled & roughly chopped
Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
Water, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.