Ohhh the goodness of popcorn – I admit popcorn is one of my favorite snack foods! And, it can even be a healthy treat when in its purest form (my recipe below). The problem is that most people eat a modified and chemically saturated version of it – aka Microwave Popcorn!
Microwave popcorn is COATED with perfluorochemicals (PFCs). These chemicals are added to the inside of the popcorn bags to make them more greaseproof. And, when heated, these PFCs coat the popcorn!
Why you want to AVOID PFCs:
- Linked to various cancers
- Causes damage to the reproductive system (infertility)
- Linked to thyroid disease
- Can cause ADHD (especially in kids)
- Promotes obesity
- Stays in the body for long periods of time (hard to detox)
Recognize any of these brands??
Other Reasons to Avoid:
- They are GMO (unless it states organic)
- Contains diacetyl (chemical used for buttery flavor.. linked to lung damage)
- Trans fat (makes you FAT)
Yep! Pretty much all commercial brands of microwave popcorn should be avoided. Even the so-called “healthy” ones.
Here’s the good news though!! You can pop your own popcorn on the stove in about the same amount of time. And, it tastes just as good (better actually) if you use the right ingredients.
My recipe below (with secret ingredient!)
- Non-GMO popcorn kernels (the only brand I’ll eat)
- Red Palm Oil (most use olive or coconut oil.. but this oil gives it more flavor and makes it tastes/look like movie theater popcorn!)
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Spices (optional)
- Add oil to bottom of hot pan/pot
- Add kernels
- Cover pan/pot
- POP AWAY! (Caution: will burn easily)
RESULTS: Actually looks and tastes like movie popcorn… and, best of all, it’s HEALTHY! And, no, that’s not butter on the popcorn… it’s the red palm oil!
I thought palm oil was bad for cholesterol? Just asking?
Moderation is key unless you already have cholesterol issues in which case you may want to avoid it, especially in larger quantities. 🙂