This kale chip recipe is a must-try!! I call them my Nacho ‘Cheese’ Kale Chips because I’m using a cashew cheese mixture to give the them some added texture and flavor instead of making the basic kale chip recipe.
These kale chips are vegan, low carb, gluten free, grain free, and dairy free! And, of course, we’re going to be cooking them in the air fryer to get them extra crispy!
Nacho ‘Cheese’ Kale Chips
The ‘secret’ ingredient that gives these kale chips that cheesy flavor without using real cheese is Brewer’s Yeast or Nutritional Yeast. Both of these are also a great source of B Vitamins, so you’re packing in the nutrients by using these as well.
Now, you can certainly cook the kale chips in the oven just be sure to flip them halfway through cooking. However, my favorite way to cook any sort of veggie chip is with my air fryer. Personally, I use the Ninja Foodi because it’s an all-in-one system that can air fry, steam, pressure cook, broil, bake, roast, and dehydrate.
Speaking of dehydrating, if you’re a raw vegan, you can also dehydrate these kale chips at 115 degrees F. for 7-8 hours or until they reach your desired crispiness.
You will also need a food processor to make the cashew cheese. The cashew cheese recipe should be enough to coat 2 large bunches of curly kale. And, feel free to add additional seasonings for added flavor. I’ll be using celtic sea salt, black pepper, and chili powder. But, in the past, I’ve also included garlic and onion powder, and it still turns out super delicious!
Looking for more healthy snack recipes?
These kale chips are a great, delicious way to sneak in extra greens and fiber into your diet. If you’re on the search for more healthy snack recipes, I’ve listed some of my favorites below.
- 3-Ingredient Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies (gluten free, grain free, & kid-friendly)
- 3-Ingredient Fudgy Flourless Brownies (vegan, gluten free, & paleo)
- Low Carb Almond Butter Fat Bombs (keto, gluten free, & vegan)
- 2-Ingredient Banana Coconut Cookies (vegan, paleo, & kid-friendly)
- Super Seed Matcha Energy Balls (paleo, gluten free, & vegan)
Air Fryer Nacho ‘Cheese’ Kale Chips (super crispy!) | Vegan, Gluten Free, & Low CarbCourse: SnacksDifficulty: Easy
This ‘cheesy’ kale chip recipe is vegan, gluten free, paleo, and low carb. If you’re tired of basic kale chips, you have to try these!
1-2 Bunches of Curly Kale
1 C. Raw Unsalted Cashews
1 Red Bell Pepper, de-seeded & roughly chopped
1/3 C. Water
Sea Salt, Black Pepper, & Chili Powder (to taste)
Lemon Juice (optional)
- Add cashews to a food processor using the ‘S’ blade and blend until cashews are broken down into a crumb-like texture.
- Then, add the bell pepper and water to the food processor and continue to blend until smooth.
- Next, add the yeast and seasonings to the food processor and continue to blend. Also, feel free to add the juice from 1/2 a lemon if you like the extra zest. **If you prefer a thinner consistency, feel free to add an additional 1-2 Tbsp of water. Also, start slowly with the seasonings (especially the chili powder) and taste the mixture as you go.
- In a large mixing bowl, de-stem the kale (start with one bundle of kale) and tear kale into bite-size pieces. Keep in mind that the kale will shrivel up while cooking so don’t make the pieces too small.
- Add 1/2 of the cashew cheese mixture to the bowl and massage it into the kale with your hands. Be sure to do this gently so you don’t tear the kale.
- Add the coated kale to the air fryer. Personally, I like to add a pretty thin layer of kale and air fry in separate batches so it gets super crispy. Air fry the kale at 360 degrees F. for 7-9 minutes. Some pieces may cook faster than others so be sure to check on the kale at around the 5-7 minute mark to ensure they don’t burn. Repeat this process until all of the kale is cooked. ENJOY!