Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and if you haven’t finished planning your Paleo-Friendly menu yet, then I’ve got you covered!
Today, I’m sharing my Grain Free & Paleo Cornbread Dressing because – well… it’s just not Thanksgiving without dressing, right?
Oh, and by the way, in the South, we call it dressing, not stuffing because we’re not stuffing anything with it (duh!)… Lol! 😉
Anyway, my family goes all out for Thanksgiving. So, being able to indulge in something delicious is a priority for me because I don’t want to feel like I’m missing out. In other words, just because I stick to a grain free diet, it doesn’t mean I have to be that one girl who only puts a scoop of green beans on her plate… not gonna happen!
When I first set out to perfect this Grain Free Dressing recipe, my goal was to make it exactly like my grandmother’s dressing (in regards to taste & texture) but with grain free alternatives.
And, boy did I accomplish that!!
Quite frankly… This dressing is perfect, y’all! I’m kind of proud of myself for this one 😉
Anyway, you can’t have dressing without Giblet gravy, so I’m also sharing a gravy recipe that is similar to a giblet gravy that’s also paleo friendly.
Check out the video below to see how I make it…
Grain Free Paleo Corn Bread Dressing
This Thanksgiving Corn Bread Dressing recipe is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, and paleo friendly.
- 1 Serving of my Paleo Cornbread (link below)
- 3 Pieces of Gluten Free Bread (toasted (link to the one I used below))
- 3 Chicken Thighs
- 1 C. Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 C. Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 1 C. Celery (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Grass-fed Ghee or Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 4 C. Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbsp Dried Sage
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Rock Salt
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 2 Pasture-Raised Eggs (whisked)
Prep the night before
- Make a batch of my Paleo Corn Bread. Let cool completely. Once cooled, roughly crumble the cornbread into a large flat dish or baking sheet. I just used the same dish I used to bake the dressing.
- Toast the 3 pieces of gluten free bread. Crumble it into the dish as well.
- Allow this bread mixture to sit in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours (uncovered) to dry out. This step is crucial to achieve the best texture for the dressing.
- Lightly season the chicken thighs with sea salt & pepper. Bake until done and store in refrigerator for tomorrow.
Final Preparations (day of)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove your bread mixture from the refrigerator and crumble it even more, if necessary (see video). Set bread mixture aside.
- Add 2 Tbsp grass-fed ghee or coconut oil to a skillet over medium heat and saute your chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery until the onions are translucent and all of the veggies are slightly soft. Add these sautéed veggies to the bread mixture. Mix well.
- Remove the skin from the chicken thighs. Cut the meat into shreds. Add about 1 C. of the shredded chicken to the bread mixture. Mix well.
- Add 2 C. of the chicken broth to the bread mixture and toss to fully combine. Then, add the other 2 C. and continue to stir/toss until all of the bread mixture is moist.
- Add the sage, thyme, salt, and pepper. Mix well. At this point, you’ll want to taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings (add more, if desired). You want this mixture to taste exactly how you want it to taste when it’s done.
- Next, add 2 whisked eggs and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Bake dressing for 60-75 minutes or until the center is set (it took mine about 75 minutes).
- Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy with my giblet-style gravy (recipe below).
Important Links for this Recipe…
- My Paleo Cornbread Recipe
- The Almond Flour Bread I Used – Julian’s Bakery (they sell this at Whole Foods)
- You can also use any gluten free white bread if you’re not strict paleo – Udi’s is a good brand sold at most stores
- 3-Quart Casserole Dish I used – HERE
Paleo Friendly Gravy
This is a dairy free, paleo-friendly giblet-style gravy that I like to serve with my grain free dressing.
- 4 Tbsp Grass-fed Ghee
- 2 C. Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 3 Tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- 2 C. Organic Chicken Broth
- 1-2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Salt
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1-2 Boiled Eggs (crumbled)
- 1/2-1 C. Shredded Chicken Thighs (about 2 thighs)
- Add ghee to a saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until translucent and golden (about 15-20 min).
- Stir in the arrowroot starch until thoroughly combined.
- Pour in 1 C. of the chicken broth and whisk until it begins to thicken. Then, add the other cup of broth and continue to whisk until it thickens.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add crumbled eggs and shredded chicken thighs.
- Stir to thoroughly combined. Add overtop the grain free dressing.
Disclaimer: Some links within this post may be affiliate links. Kayla receives a small affiliate commission for purchases made via her affiliate links. Many thanks for your support in keeping this blog up and running 🙂