A True Southern Staple…
Being from the deep South (Mississippi), I know a thing or two about corn bread! 😉
In fact, corn bread is a staple side dish in Southern cuisine.
And, we make it in all sorts of varieties – regular corn bread, sweet corn bread (most popular), jalepeno cornbread, broccoli and cheese corn bread, and the list goes on and on.
I’m convinced you could probably throw any ingredient in corn bread and it would turn out good… Lol!
Why the Traditional Corn Bread Recipe isn’t healthy…
But, of course, it’s not the healthiest of dishes, especially when made in the traditional sense.
Why, you ask?
For starters, the cornmeal (that most people use) isn’t organic, which means it’s most likely derived from genetically modified corn.
Interesting Fact: Over 85% of the corn grown in America is genetically modified.
Secondly, flour (aka wheat) is used in most southern-style corn bread recipes, which is most likely derived from wheat crops that have been sprayed to death with toxic pesticides and/or herbicides.
Interesting Fact: Some of the most popular pesticides & herbicides used today have been labeled as either carcinogenic or ‘probably’ carcinogenic (aka may lead to cancer in humans).
Additionally, wheat is pro-inflammatory for most individuals due to their inability to digest the wheat protein properly.
And, lastly, many traditional corn bread recipes call for sugar, which is also pro-inflammatory and can lead to many health issues.
My Paleo, Gluten Free Version is just as good…
In terms of flavor and texture, my gluten free & paleo corn bread gives the traditional sweet corn bread recipe a run for its money…
without all of the negative health side effects too, by the way!
This recipe contains ingredients that are easy to digest and health-promoting.
This recipe is all of the following:
- Gluten Free
- Dairy Free (if you use coconut oil)
- Soy Free
- Casein Free
- Corn Free
- GMO Free
- Grain Free
- Refined Sugar Free
And, I’ve even provided some low carb options in the Notes section of the recipe card below.
Check out my recipe video to see how I make it 🙂 (Don’t forget to LIKE the video on YouTube)
Gluten Free Paleo Corn Bread
A delicious grain free sweet corn bread.
- 2 C. Almond Flour
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- 1/2 tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 heaping tsp Celtic Sea Salt or Himalayan Rock Salt
- 4 Pasture-Raised Eggs
- 1/3 C. Unsweetened Almond Milk (Cashew Milk, or Full-Fat Coconut Milk (just make sure to mix the fat and liquid very well for the coconut milk))
- 1/4 C. Grass-fed Ghee or Unrefined Coconut Oil (melted)
- 3 Tbsp Raw Honey (melted)
- 1 tsp Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil or ghee. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until fully combined.
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, milk, ghee/oil, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients and whisk/stir until fully combined (no lumps).
- Pour this mixture into your greased baking pan. Spread mixture evenly in the pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
If you’re looking for a low carb alternative, you can eliminate the honey and substitute with a low carb liquid alternative, such as FiberYum. Another option is to use a low carb granulated sweetener (i.e. birch xylitol, erythritol, etc.). But, you’d need to add more liquid, such as almond milk to ensure proper moisture.